Just last week I helped shovel 20 inches of snow. Today it’s 70! Are you ready for Spring?
Dogs are ready for spring and sniffing like crazy on walks. Both you and your dog will enjoy the wonderful, warmer weather after checking these spring dog tips:
- Exercise – Slowly increase the distance and speed of your dog’s walks and play time. Like us, our dogs weren’t very active this long winter. He needs to slowly increase his endurance too! Years ago, I helped a collapsed dog on the first warm day of spring.
- Heartworm Time – Does your dog need a Heartworm blood test? Hobbes takes heartworm prevention year-round and others take it from April to November. Ask your vet what is best for your dog.
- Tick Season is here! Ticks come out at 40 degrees. They love the warm weather and wait for you and your dog to walk by. Protect yourself and check your dog and outdoor cats.
- Water! Take water with you on long walks and car rides. My outdoor dog water dish is out next to the sidewalk with lots of dogs stopping for a drink. Hobbes’ dog friend is enjoying his wading pool to cool off.
- Grooming – After a long winter, dogs enjoy feeling lighter after a great haircut or grooming. Time to start combing and brushing out the extra hair. A perfect time to bond with your dog.
- Car Rides – Remember to open your car windows for your dog. Vehicles heat up quickly now.
- Thunderstorms – Thunderstorm season is coming. Is your dog afraid? Start using these tips to make life easier for your dog.
After our endless winter, let’s all get outside and enjoy.
Need more spring dog tips? Schedule your free 15-minute consultation and learn how I can help you and your pet.